Your one-stop-shop for Urban Fantasy’s finest anthology of the supernatural. 14 sleuths are gathered together for the first time in all-original tales of unusual cases which require services that go far beyond mere deduction!Featuring new stories by: Tanya Huff, C. T. Adams and Cathy Clamp, Simon R. Green, T. A. Pratt, Chris Marie Green, Lilith Saintcrow, Rachel Caine, Jackie Kessler, Carrie L. Vaughn, Julie Kenner, C. J. Henderson, Laura Anne Gilman, Justin Gustainis and Caitlin KittredgeMeet the Detectives:
- Danny Hendrickson - from Laura Anne Gilman’s Cosa Nostradamus series.
- Kate Connor - from Julie Kenner’s Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series.
- John Taylor - from Simon R. Green’sNightside series.
- Jill Kismet - from Lilith Saintcrow’s Jill Kismetseries.
- Jessi Hardin - from Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series.
- Quincey Morris - from Justin Gustainis’Morris/Chastain Investigations series.
- Marla Mason - from T. A. Pratt’s Marla Mason series.
- Tony Foster - from Tanya Huff’s Smoke and Shadows series.
- Dawn Madison - from Chris Marie Green’sVampire Babylon series.
- Pete Caldecott - from Caitlin Kittredge’sBlack London series.
- Tony Giodone - from C. T. Adams and Cathy Clamp’s Tales of the Sazi series.
- Jezebel - from Jackie Kessler’s Hell on Earthseries.
- Piers Knight - from C. J. Henderson’sBrooklyn Knight series.
- Cassiel - from Rachel Caine’s Outcast Seasonseries.Demons may lurk, werewolves may prowl, vampires may ride the wind. These are things that go bump in the night, but we are the ones who bump back!
When I agreed to read Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives, I was a little unsure how I would feel about what I reading this as it was referred to as a sampling. To me a sampling would be a chapter or 2 from a book. I wouldn't call these stories samplings, I would definitely say they are shorts. They had a beginning, middle and an end. I was surprised actually with how well they were written given they were extremely short. Being that the characters are written in the Authors books and this just seems like a short story in a addition to the series that have been written, I was also afraid I'd feel lost. That I would be thrown to the wolves and left asking why. But as I said they managed to pull it off. I'm sure with the help of Justin Gustianis's editing skills didn't go to waste here. He was able to pull off all these shorts with them actually making sense.
So I won't go over EVERY short in the book. I want to mention my favorite, Rachel Caine: Running Wild. It's a Outcast Season Series Story. I loved this short, so much that I plan on buying the series. One short and I'm hooked!
I think I will look for more books like Those Who Fight Monsters that have shorts in them. I really fell in love with this type of book. It's unique and peaked my ADD interest.
You can find out more about Justin Gustainis and his book here.